Jonathan’s researching is focused on the control of small quantum
systems for purposes of quantum information processing and quantum
based sensing. Specifically, he is investigating single nitrogen
vacancy centers in diamond. This physical system behaves like a
single atom or molecule (e.g. non-zero spin, spatially localized
wavefunctions, has optical excited states with finite lifetimes,
selection rules, etc), yet exists within the lattice of diamond, where
nearby nuclear spins (e.g Carbon-13) give rise to a correlated spin
environment. When these spins are close enough to the NV to couple
strongly, this composite system forms a few bit quantum register and
can be coherently controlled using microwave, rf, and optical pulses.
Current efforts include high fidelity control of 1-2 nuclear spins,
characterization of nuclear spin decoherence processes, and repetitive
readout of spin states using quantum non-demolition observables, and
Ramsey/Spin-Echo based magnetic field sensing.
Jonathan is a post-doctoral fellow with Professor Lukin at Harvard.
He completed his Ph.D. in Nuclear Science and Engineering at MIT in
2007 where studied quantum control of nuclear and electron spins in
ensemble systems using magnetic resonance techniques. He also hold a
Bachelor of Science in Applied Physics from Columbia University.
- J. Hodges and M. Lukin. Coherence and Control of Quantum Registers based on Electronic Spin in a Nuclear Spin Bath. Phys. Rev. Lett., 102:210502, 2009.
- J. Hodges, J. Maze, A. Zibrov, M. Lukin, D.G. Cory, P.R. Hemmer, R.L. Walsworth, and A. Yacoby. Repetitive Readout of a Single Electron Spin via Quantum Logic with Nuclear Spin Ancillae. Science, 326:267, 2009.
- J. Maze, J. Hodges, L. Jiang, E. Togan, A. Zibrov, M. Lukin, P. L. Stanwix, S. Hong, M.V. Gurudev Dutt, A. Yacoby, and R.L. Walsworth. Magnetic Sensing with an individual electronic spin in diamond. Nature, 455:644-647, 2008.
- J. Maze, J. Hodges, A. Zibrov, M. Lukin, P. L. Stanwix, S. Hong, A. Yacoby, and R.L. Walsworth. Nanoscale magnetic sensing with an individual electronic spin in diamond. Nature, 455:644-647, 2008.
- J. Maze, J. Hodges, A. Zibrov, M. Lukin, L. Childress, M.V. Gurudev Dutt, S. Hong, P. L. Stanwix, P.R. Hemmer, A. Yacoby, and R.L. Walsworth. Quantum Control of Spins and Photons at Nanoscales. Proceedings of the XXI International Conference on Atomic Physics, ICAP 2008.