Papers in Refereed Journals
- Victor Nikonenko, Urtenov Magomet, Urtenov Magomet, Jongyoon Han, Pismenskaya Natalia, and Елена Белова,
"Desalination at overlimiting currents: State-of-the-art and perspectives", Desalination, 2014
- Aniruddh Sarkar, Sarah Kolitz, Douglas A. Lauffenburger, Jongyoon Han, Microfluidic probe for single-cell analysis in adherent tissue culture, Nature Communications, 5:3421 doi: 10.1038/ncomms4421 (2014)
- Majid, E W, B L Khoo, D S W Tan, A A S Bhagat, W T Lim, Y S Yap, S C Lee, R A Soo, J Han, C T Lim, An ultra-high throughput spiral microfluidic biochip for the enrichment of circulating tumor cells, Analyst, 2014
- Leon D. Li, Thomas Crouzier, Aniruddh Sarkar, Laura Dunphy, Jongyoon Han, and Katharina Ribbec,
"Spatial Configuration and Composition of Charge Modulates Transport
into a Mucin Hydrogel Barrier", Biophysical Journal, 2013, 105:1–9
- Majid Ebrahimi Warkiani, Guofeng Guan, Khoo Bee Luan, Wong Cheng Lee, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Daniel Shao-Weng Tan, Soo Chin Lee, Peter C Y Chen, Chwee Teck Lim, Jongyoon Han, "Slanted spiral microfluidics for the ultra-fast, label-free isolation of circulating tumor cells", Lab on a Chip, accepted
- Miles A. Miller, Aaron S. Meyer, Michael T. Beste, Zainab Lasisi, Sonika Reddy, Karen W. Jeng, Chia-Hung Chen, Jongyoon Han, Keith Isaacson, Linda G. Griffith, and Douglas A. Lauffenburger, "ADAM-10 and -17 regulate endometriotic cell migration via concerted ligand and receptor shedding feedback on kinase signaling", PNAS, 2013 (doi: 10.1073/pnas.1222387110)
Y.-A. Song, A. Ibrahim, A. Rabie, J. Han, and S. J. Lin, “Microfabricated Nerve-Electrode Interfaces in Neural Prosthetics and Neural Engineering”, Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering Reviews, 2013, accepted for publication
A Ibrahim, T. Gerstle, A. N. Rabie, Y.-A. Song, R. Melik, J. Han, S. J. Lin, “Nanotechnology in Plastic Surgery”, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2012, 130: 879e-887e
- Guofeng Guan,Lidan Wu,Ali Asgar Bhagat,Zirui Li,Peter C Y Chen,Shuzhe Chao,Chong Jin Ong and Jongyoon Han, "Spiral microchannel with rectangular and trapezoidal cross-sections for size based particle separation", Scientific Reports, in press (doi:10.1038/srep01475)
- Rhokyun Kwak, Van Sang Pham, Kian Meng Lim, and Jongyoon Han, "Shear flow of an electrically charged fluid by ion concentration polarization: Scaling laws for convection vortices", Physical Review Letters, 110, 114501 (2013) (doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.114501)
- Han Wei Hou, Majid Ebrahimi Warkiani*, Bee Luan Khoo*, Zi Rui Li, Ross A. Soo, Daniel Shao-Weng Tan, Wan-Teck Lim, Jongyoon Han, Ali Asgar. S. Bhagat, Chwee Teck Lim, "Isolation and retrieval of circulating tumor cells using centrifugal forces", Scientific Reports, in press (doi:10.1038/srep01259)
- Y.-A. Song, L. Wu, S. Tannenbaum, J. Wishnok, J. Han, "Tunable Membranes for Free-Flow Zone Electrophoresis in PDMS Microchip using Guided Self-Assembly of Silica Microbeads", Analytical chemistry.
- Peng Weng Kung and Jongyoon Han, "Haemoglobin electrochemical detection on various reduced graphene surfaces: well-defined glassy carbon electrode outperforms the graphenoids", RSC Advances.
- Bumjoo Kim, Joonseong Heo, Hyukjin Kwon, Seong Cho, Jongyoon Han, Sung Jae Kim* and Geunbae Lim*, "Tunable Ionic Transport for a Triangular Nanochannel in a Polymeric Nanofluidic System," ACS Nano, accepted (*: equally contributed corresponding authors)
- Sha Huang, Andreas Undisz, Monica Diez Silva, Hansen Bow, Ming Dao, and Jongyoon Han, "Dynamic deformability of Plasmodium falciparum– infected
erythrocytes exposed to artesunate in vitro", Integrative Biology, accepted
- Chia-Hung Chen, Miles Miller, Aniruddh Sarkar, Michael Beste, Keith Isaacson, Douglas Lauffenburger, Linda Griffith, and Jongyoon Han, "Multiplexed Protease Activity Assay for Low Volume Clinical Samples Using Droplet Based Microfluidics and Its Application to Endometriosis", JACS, accepted
- Sang Van Pham, Zirui Li, Kian Meng Lim, Jacob K White and Jongyoon Han, "Direct numerical simulation of electroconvective instability and
hysteretic current-voltage response of permselective membrane", Physical Review E, accepted
Lidan Wu, Guofeng Guan, Hanwei Hou, Ali Asgar Bhagat and Jongyoon Han, "Separation of Leukocytes From Blood Using Spiral Channel With Trapezoid Cross-section", Analytical Chemistry, accepted
Sung Jae Kim*, Sung Hee Ko*, Rhokyun Kwak, Jonathan D. Posner,
Kwan Hyoung Kang and Jongyoon Han, "Multi-Vortical Flow Inducing Electrokinetic Instability in Ion Concentration Polarization Layer", Nanoscale, accepted (*: equally contributed authors)
Monica Diez-Silva, YongKeun Park, Sha Huang, Hansen Bow, Odile Mercereau-Puijalon, Guillaume Deplaine, Catherine Lavazec, Sylvie Perrot, Serge Bonnefoy, Michael S. Feld, Jongyoon Han, Ming Dao & Subra Suresh, "Pf155/RESA protein influences the dynamic microcirculatory behavior of ring-stage Plasmodium falciparum infected red blood cells", Scientific Reports, (doi:10.1038/srep00614)
Weng Kung Peng, Lan Chen, and Jongyoon Han, "
Development of miniaturized, portable Magnetic Resonance Relaxometry System for Point-of-Care Medical Diagnosis", Review of Scientific Instruments, accepted
Guofeng Guan, Chao Yu Peter Chen, Weng Kung Peng, Ali Asgar Bhagat, Chong Jin Ong, and Jongyoon Han, "
Real-time control of a microfluidic channel for size-independent deformability cytometry", Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, accepted
Lih Feng Cheow, Hansen Bow, and Jongyoon Han, "
Continuous-Flow Biomolecule Concentration and Detection in a Slanted Nanofilter Array", Lab on a Chip, 2012, 12 (21), 4441 - 4448 (DOI:C2LC40195A)
- Sung Hee Ko*, Yong-Ak Song*, Sung Jae Kim, Kwan Hyoung Kang** and Jongyoon Han**, "
"Nanofluidic Preconcentration Device in a Straight Microchannel Using Ion Concentration Polarization", Lap on a Chip, 2012, 12 (21), 4472 - 4482. (DOI: 10.1039/C2LC21238B)(*: equally contributed authors, **: equally contributed corresponding authors)
- Rhokyun Kwak, Guofeng Guan, Weng Kung Peng, and Jongyoon Han, "
Microscale Electrodialysis: Concentration Profiling and Vortex Visualization", Desalination, 308, 2013, 138–146 (pdf)
- Han Wei Hou, Hiong Yap Gan, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Leon D. Li, Chwee Teck Lim, and Jongyoon Han ,"A Microfluidics Approach Towards High-Throughput Pathogen Removal From Blood", Biomicrofluidics, 6, 024115, 2012. (DOI: 10.1063/1.4710992) (also selected for the May 14, 2012 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology) <Press articles> Microfluidic device designed to cleanse blood by Gizmag
- Li D. L., Lieleg O., Jang S., Ribbeck K., and Han J., "Microfludic In Vitro System for Quantitative Study of Stomach Mucus Barrier Function,", Lab on a Chip, 2012. (DOI:10.1039/C2LC40161D)(selected as a Lap on a Chip Top 10%, 9/5/2012)
Kong, T.F., Peng, W.K., Luong, T.D., Nguyen, N.-T. & Han, J. "Adhesive-based liquid metal radio-frequency microcoil for magnetic resonance relaxometry measurement," Lab on a Chip, 12, 287-294, 2011.
- Yong-Ak Song, Rohat Melik, Amr N. Rabie, Ahmed M. S. Ibrahim, David Moses, Ara Tan, Jongyoon Han & Samuel J. Lin, "Electrochemical activation and inhibition of neuromuscular systems through modulation of ion concentrations with ion-selective membranes," Nature Materials, (doi:10.1038/nmat3146) online published, 2011.
Charging toward better neural implants by MIT news
Put Nerves Under Ion Control, and Activation Is Yours by Alzheimer Research Forum
Dismissing gatekeepers for enhanced nerve control by RSC Chemistry World
Improved method of electrical stimulation could help treat damaged nerves by EureaLaert.org
- Rhokyun Kwak, Sung Jae Kim and Jongyoon Han, "Continuous-flow Biomolecule and Cell Concentrator by Ion Concentration Polarization," Analytical Chemistry, 83, 7348-7355, 2011.
- Lih Feng Cheow and Jongyoon Han, "Continuous Signal Enhancement for Sensitive Aptamer Affinity Probe Electrophoresis Assay Using Electrokinetic Concentration," Analytical Chemistry, 2011 accepted for publication.
- Han Wei Hou, Ali Asgar Saleem Bhagat, Wong Cheng Lee, Sha Huang, Jongyoon Han, Chwee Teck Lim, " Microfluidic devices for blood fractionation," Micromachines, 2011 accepted for publication.
- Chia-Hung Chen, Aniruddh Sakar, Yong-Ak Song, Miles A. Miller, Sung Jae Kim, Linda G. Griffith, Douglas A. Lauffenburger and Jongyoon Han, "Enhancing Protease Activity Assay in Droplet-Based Microfluidics Using a Biomolecule Concentrator," JACS, 133, 10368-10371, 2011. (DOI: ja2036628)
- Aniruddh Sarkar and Jongyoon Han, "Non-Linear and Linear Enhancement of Enzymatic Reaction Kinetics using a Biomolecule Concentrator," Lab on a Chip, 11(15), 2569-2576, 2011, (DOI:10.1039/C0LC00588F).
- Ali Asgar. S. Bhagat,
Han Wei Hou, Leon D Li, Chwee Teck Lim and Jongyoon Hna, "
Pinched flow coupled shear-modulated inertial microfluidics for high-throughput rare blood cell separation," Lab on a Chip,11(11), 1870-1878, 2011.
- Sung Hee Ko*, Sung Jae Kim*, Lih Feng Cheow, Leon D. Li, Kwan Hyoung Kang** and Jongyoon Han**, "Massive-Parallel Concentration Device for Multiplexed Immonoassays," Lab on a Chip, 11(7), 1351-1358, 2011. (*: equally contributed authors, **: equally contributed corresponding authors)(DOI: C0LC00349B).
- Wong Cheng Lee, Ali Asgar. S. Bhagat, Huang Sha, Krystyn J. Van Vliet, Jongyoon Han*, Chwee Teck Lim*, "High-throughput cell cycle synchronization using inertial forces in spiral microchannels," Lab on a Chip, 11(7), 1359-1367, 2011. (*: equally contributed corresponding authors) (DOI: 10.1039/C0LC00579G).
- Bow, H., Pivkin, I., Diez-Silva, M., Goldfless, S.J., Dao, M., Niles, J.C., Suresh, S. & Han, J. "A microfabricated deformability-based flow cytometer with application to malaria,"Lab on a Chip, 2011, 11(6), 1065-1073 (DOI: 10.1039/c0lc00472c).
- Li, Z. R., G. R. Liu, N. G. Hadjiconstantinou, J. Han, J. S. Wang, and Y. Z. Chen. 2010. “Dispersive Transport of Biomolecules in Periodic Energy Landscapes with application to Nanofilter Sieving Arrays,” Electrophoresis, 2011, 32, 506-517 (DOI:10.1002.elps.201000259).
- Dextras, P., Payer, K.R., Burg, T.P., Shen, W., Wang, Y.-C., Han, J. & Manalis, S.R. "Fabrication and Characterization of an Integrated Microsystem for Protein Preconcentration and Sensing," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 20(1) 221-230, 2011.
- Jun Young Kim, Jonathan P. DeRocher, Pan Mao, Jongyoon Han, Robert E. Cohen and Michael F. Rubner, "Formation of Nanoparticle-Containing Multilayers in Nanochannels via Layer-by-Layer Assembly," Chemistry of Materials, 2010, (accepted for publication).
- Jeong Hoon Lee and Jongyoon Han, "Concentration-Enhanced Rapid Detection of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin as a Tumor Marker Using a Nanofluidic Preconcentrator," Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 2010, 9,973-979.
- Han Wei Hou, Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Alvin Guo Lin Chong, Pan Mao, Kevin Shyong Wei Tan, Jongyoon Han and Chwee Teck Lim, "Deformability based cell margination - A simple microfluidic design for malaria infected erythrocyte separation," Lab on a Chip, 2010, 10, 2605-2613.
- M. Diez-Silva, M. Dao, J. Han, C.-T. Lim, and S. Suresh, "Shape and Biomechanical Characteristics of Human Red Blood Cells in Health and Disease," MRS Bulletin, 2010, 35(5), 382-388.
- Ali Asgar S. Bhagat, Hansen Bow, Han Wei Hou, Swee Jin Tan, Chwee Teck Lim, Jongyoon Han, "Microfluidics for Cell Separation," Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, 2010, 48, 999-1014.
- Sung Jae Kim, Sung Hee Ko, Kwan Hyoung Kang and Jongyoon Han, "Direct Seawater Desalination by Ion Concentration Polarization," Nature Nanotechnology,
2010, 5, 297-301.(video1, video2, video3)
News and Views in Nature Nanotechnology, "Water Desalination: Fresh for Less" by Mark A. Shannon
This paper was featured in front page of Nature (03/22/2010) and MIT (03/23/2010)
A system that’s worth its salt by MIT news
Purifying the sea one drop at a time by Nature
Nano-Gadget Holds the Salt by Science
Drinking water from sunlight and seawater by Chemistry World
Device to convert seawater offers hope to parched lands by Yahoo.com
Nanodevice run from battery could help to desalinate seawater in disaster zones by OneIndia
Tiny New Desalination Chip Revealed by RedOrbit.com
Nanotechnology makes portable seawater desalination device possible by NanoWerk.com
Device to convert seawater offers hope to parched lands by VancouverSun.com
Desalination Now Becomes Handy by TopNews.us
Researchers develop desal on a chip by ABCScience
Tiny gadget strips salt from seawater by The Standard.com
Water: Battery-power desalination offers hope to parched areas by BrisbaneTimes.com
Battery-power desalination device offers hope to parched areas by The Daily Star.com
New Microfluidic Device Can Remove Salt from Seawater by Softpedia.com
Nanodevice run from battery could help to desalinate seawater in disaster zones by DNAIndia.com
Water: Battery-power desalination offers hope to parched areas by Physorg.com
Water: Battery-power desalination offers hope to parched areas by Bangkokpost.com
Nanotech desalination gives hope to the parched by Taipei Times
New nano desalination device by Straits Times, etc
- Lih Feng Cheow, Sung Hee Ko, Sung Jae Kim, Kwan Hyoung Kang and Jongyoon Han, "Increase of Sensitivity of ELISA using Multiplexed Electrokinetic Preconcentrator," Analytical Chemistry, 2010, 82(8), 3383-3388 (reprint).
- Vincent Liu, Yong Ak Song, and Jongyoon Han, "Capillary-valve-based fabrication of ion-selective membrane junction for electrokinetic sample preconcentration in PDMS chip," Lab on a Chip, 2010, 10, 1485-1490.
- Jonathan P. DeRocher*, Pan Mao*, Jongyoon Han, Michael F. Rubner and Robert E. Cohen, "Layer-by-Layer Assembly of Polyelectrolytes in Nanofluidic Devices," Macromolecules, 2010, 43(5), 2430-2437. (*:equally contributed authors)
- Y.-A. Song, M. Chan, C. Celio, S. Tannenbaum, J. Wishnok, J. Han, " Free-Flow Zone Electrophoresis of Peptides and Proteins in PDMS Microchip for Narrow pI Range Sample Prefractionation Coupled with Mass Spectrometry," Analytical Chemistry, 2010, 82, 2317-2325 (reprint)
- Kim, P.*, Kim S.J.*, Suh, K.-Y.**, Han J.**, "Stabilization of Ion Concentration Polarization Using a Heterogeneous Nanoporous Junction", Nano Letters, 2010, 10, 16-23. (*: equally contributed authors, **: equally contributed corresponding authors)
- Kim S.J., Song Y.A., Han J., "Nanofluidic Concentration Device for Biomolecules Utilizing Ion Concentration Polarization: Theory, Fabrication, and Applications," Chemical Society Reviews, 2010, 39, 912-922.
- Zi Rui Li, Gui Rong Liu, Jongyoon Han, Yuan Cheng, Yu Zong Chen, Jian-Sheng Wang, and
Nicolas G. Hadjiconstantinou, "Analytical description of Ogston-regime biomolecule separation using nanofilters and nanopores," Phy. Rev. E, 2009, 80, 041911.
- Fu J., Mao P., Han J., "Continuous-flow bioseparation using microfabricated anisotropic nanofluidic sieving structures," Nature Protocols, 2009, 4, 1681 - 1698. (doi)
- Yamada M., Mao P., Fu J., Han J., "Rapid Quantification of Disease-Marker Proteins Using Continuous-Flow Immunoseparation in a Nanosieve Fluidic Device," Anal. Chem. 2009, 81, 7067–7074 (doi) (reprint)
- Lee, J.H., Cosgrove B., Lauffenburger A.D., Han J., “Microfluidic concentration-enhanced cellular kinase activity assay,” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2009, 131, 10340–10341 (doi) (reprint)(reprint)
- Kim S.J., Li L., Han J., " Amplified Electrokinetic Response by Concentration Polarization near Nanofluidic Channel," Langmuir 2009, 25(13), 7759–7765 (doi) (reprint)
- Mao P. and Han J., "Massively-Parallel Ultra-High-Aspect-Ratio Nanochannels as Mesoporous Membranes," Lab on a Chip 2009, 9, 586–591 (doi)
- Wang R, Wang J.S., Liu G.R., Han J., Chen Y.Z., "Simulation of DNA Electrophoresis in Systems of Large Number of Solvent Particles by Coarse-Grained Hybrid Molecular Dynamics Approach," Journal of Computational Chemistry, 30 (4): 505-513 March 2009 (doi)
- Z.R., Liu G.R., Han J., Chen Y.Z., Wang J.H., Hadjiconstantinou N.G., “Transport of biomolecules in asymmetric nanofilter arrays,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 394, 427-435, 2009. (doi)
- Duong-Hong D., Han J., Wang J.S., Hadjiconstantinou N.G., Chen Y.Z., Liu G.R., “Realistic Simulations of Combined DNA Electrophoretic and Electroosmotic Flows in Nano-Fluidic Devices,” Electrophoresis, 29, 4880-4886, 2008. (doi)
- Bow H., Fu J., Han J., "Decreasing effective nanofilter size by modulating electrical double layers: Separation enhancement in microfabricated nanofilters," Electrophoresis, 29, 1-6, 2008. (doi)
- Fu J., Mao P., and Han J., "Artificial molecular sieves and filters: a new paradigm for biomolecule separatio," Trends in Biotechnology 2008, 26 (6), 311-320 (pubmed)
- Schoch, R. B., Han, J., Renaud, P. "Transport phenomena in nanofluidics," Reviews of Modern Physics 80, 839-883, 2008 (pdf)
- Song, Y.-A., Batista, C., Sarpeshkar, R., Han, J., "Rapid fabrication of microfluidic polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell in PDMS by surface patterning of perfluorinated ion-exchange resin", Journal of Power Sources 2008, 183, 674–677(doi)
- Sung Jae Kim, Jongyoon Han, "Self-Sealed Vertical Polymeric Nanoporous-Junctions for
High-Throughput Nanofluidic Applications," Analytical Chemistry 2008, 80, 3507-3511. (doi)
- Zi Rui Li, Z.R., Gui Rong Liu, Yu Zong Chen, Jian-Sheng Wang, Hansen Bow, Yuan Cheng, Jongyoon Han, “Continuum Transport Model of Ogston Sieving in Patterned Nanofilter Arrays for Rod-like Biomolecule Separation, ” Electrophoresis 2008, 29, 329–339. (doi)
- Lee, J. H.; Song, Y.-A; Tannenbaum, S., Han, J. "Increase of Reaction Rate and Sensitivity of Low-Abundance Enzyme Assay using Micro/Nanofluidic Preconcentration Chip," Analytical Chemistry 2008, 80, 3198-3204 (doi)
- Chung S., Lee J. H., Moon M-W., Han J, Kamm R. D. "Non-lithographic wrinkle nanochannels for protein preconcentration," Adv. Mater. 2008, 20, 3011–3016. (doi)
- Lee J. H*.; Song Y.-A.*; Han J. "Multiplexed Proteomic Sample Preconcentration Device Using Surface-Patterned Ion-Selective Membrane," Lab Chip, 2008, 8, 596–601, (doi). * These authors contributed equally to this work.
- Han J., Fu J., and Schoch R.B., “Molecular Sieving Using Nanofilters: Past, Present and Future,” Lab Chip, 2008, 8, 23–33. (doi)
- Wang YC, and Han J, "Pre-binding dynamic range and sensitivity enhancement for immuno-sensors using nanofluidic preconcentrator," Lab Chip, 2008, 8, 392–394, (doi)
- Schoch, R.B., Cheow, L.F., and Han, J., “Electrical Detection of Fast Reaction Kinetics in Nanochannels with an Induced Flow,” Nano Letters, 7(12), 3895-3900 (2007). (doi) (reprint)
- Lee, J. H., Chung, S., Kim, S. J. & Han, J. "Novel PDMS based protein preconcentration using a nanogap generated by junction gap breakdown,” Analytical Chemistry, 79, 6868 -6873 (2007). (doi)
- Kim, S. J.*, Wang, Y.-C.*, Lee, J. H., Jang, H. & Han, J. "Concentration polarization and nonlinear electrokinetic flow near a nanofluidic channel,” Physical Review Letters, 99, 044501.1-4 (2007). (pdf‡)
- Duong-Hong, D., Wang, J.-S., Liu, G. R., Chen, Y. Z., Han, J., Hadjiconstantinou, N. G. " Dissipative particle dynamics simulations of electroosmotic flow in nano-fluidic devices," Microfluid Nanofluid (2008) 4:219–225. (doi)
- Fu, J.*, Schoch, R. B.*, Stevens, A. L., Tannenbaum, S. R. & Han, J. "A patterned anisotropic nanofluidic sieving structure for continuous-flow separation of DNA and proteins,” Nature Nanotechnology 2, 121-128 (2007). (pdf) Comment: Austin, R. "Nanofluidics: a fork in the nano-road," Nature Nanotechnology 2, 79-80 (2007). (pdf)
- Kim, S. J., Song, Y.-A., Skipper, P. L. & Han, J. "Electrohydrodynamic generation and delivery of monodisperse pico-liter droplets using the PDMS microchip," Analytical Chemistry 78, 8011-8019 (2006). (doi)
- Balducci, A., Mao, P., Han, J. & Doyle, P. S."Double-stranded DNA diffusion in slitlike nanochannels," Macromolecules 39, 6273-6281 (2006). (doi)
- Fu, J., Yoo, J. & Han, J. "Molecular sieving in periodic free-energy landscapes created by patterned nanofilter arrays," Physical Review Letters 97, 018103.1-4 (2006). (pdf‡)
- Song, Y.-A., Hsu, S., Stevens, A. & Han, J. "Continuous-flow pI-based sorting of proteins and peptides in a microfluidic chip using diffusion potential," Analytical Chemistry 78, 3528-3536 (2006). (doi)
- Fu, J., Mao, P. & Han, J. "A nanofilter array chip for fast gel-free biomolecule separation," Applied Physics Letters 87, 263902.1-3 (2005). (pdf†)
- Mao, P. & Han, J. "Fabrication and characterization of 20 nm nanofluidic channels by glass-glass and glass-silicon bonding," Lab on a Chip 5, 837-844 (2005). (pdf§)
- Wang, Y.-C., Stevens, A. & Han, J. "Million-fold preconcentration of proteins and peptides by nanofluidic filter," Analytical Chemistry 77, 4293-4299 (2005). (doi)
- Han, J. & Singh, A. K. "Rapid protein separations in ultra-short microchannels: microchip sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and isoelectric focusing," Journal of Chromatrography A 1049, 205-209 (2004). (pdf, doi)
- Wang, Y.-C., Choi, M. H. & Han, J. "Two-dimensional protein separation with advanced sample and buffer isolation using microfluidic valves," Analytical Chemistry 76, 4426-4431 (2004). (doi)
Previous to 2002 (non-MIT)
- Han, J. & Craighead, H. G. "Characterization and optimization of an entropic trap for DNA separation," Analytical Chemistry 74, 394-401 (2002).
- Han, J. & Craighead, H. G. "Separation of long DNA molecules in a microfabricated entropic trap array," Science 288, 1026-1029 (2000).
- Chou, C.-F., Austin, R. H., Bakajin, O., Tegenfeldt, J. O., Castelino, J. A., Chan, S. S., Cox, E. C., Craighead, H. G., Darnton, N., Duke, T., Han, J. & Turner S. "Sorting biomolecules with microdevices," Electrophoresis 21, 81-90 (2000).
- Han, J., Turner, S. W. & Craighead, H. G. "Entropic trapping and escape of long DNA molecules at submicron size constriction," Physical Review Letters 83, 1688-1691 (1999).
- Han, J. & Craighead, H. G. "Entropic trapping and sieving of long DNA molecules in a nanofluidic channel," Journal of Vacuum Science Technology A 17, 2142-2147 (1999).
- Hill, S. B., Haich, C. A., Dunning, F. B., Walters, G. K., McClelland, J. J., Celotta, R. J., Craighead, H. G., Han, J. & Tanenbaum, D. M. "Patterning of octadecylsiloxane self-assembled monolayers on Si(100) using Ar(P-3(0,2)) atoms," Journal of Vacuum Science Technology B 17, 1087-1089 (1999).
- Han, J., Kuk, Y. & Jeon, D. "Surface crystalline gold silicide formation on the Au(100) surface," Surface Science 376, 237-244 (1997).
* These authors contributed equally to this work.
† Copyright by American Institute of Physics. This article may be downloaded for personal use only. Any other use requires prior permission of the author and the American Institute of Physics.
‡ Copyright by the American Physical Society.
§ Do not make further available or distribute.
Proceedings of Refereed ConFerences
- S. H. Ko, S. J. Kim, K. H. Kang, J. Han, "LIMITING CONVECTION NEAR ION SELECTIVE NANOJUNCTION LEADS TO THE REMOVAL OF
LIMITING CURRENT BEHAVIOR," mTAS 2009, Jeju, Korea, Nov. 2009.
- P. Kim, S. J. Kim, J. Han, K. Y. Suh,"MICROFLUIDIC INTEGRATION OF CATION- AND ANION-SELECTIVE HYDROGELS FOR
MOLECULAR MANIPULATION," mTAS 2009, Jeju, Korea, Nov. 2009.
- L. F. Cheow, S. H. Ko, K. H. Kang, J. Han,"ELECTROKINETIC ACCUMULATION OF ENZYMATIC PRODUCT ENHANCES DETECTION
SENSITIVITY IN MICROFLUIDIC ELISA," mTAS 2009, Jeju, Korea, Nov. 2009.
- H. Bow, H. W. Hou, S. Goldfless, P. Abgrall, K. Tan, J. Niles, C. T. Lim, J. Han, "CONTINUOUS-FLOW DEFORMABILITY-BASED SORTING OF MALARIA-INFECTED RED BLOOD CELLS," mTAS 2009, Jeju, Korea, Nov. 2009.
- S. J. Kim, S. H. Ko, K. H. Kang, J. Han, "DIRECT SEAWATER DESALINATION USING IONIC CONCENTRATION POLARIZATION," mTAS 2009, Jeju, Korea, Nov. 2009.
- J. H. Lee, B. D. Cosgrove, D. A. Lauffenburger, J. Han, "IN-VITRO CONCENTRATION-ENHANCED CELLULAR KINASE ACTIVITY ASSAYS DIRECTLY
FROM CELL LYSATES," mTAS 2009, Jeju, Korea, Nov. 2009.
- M. Yamada, P. Mao, J. Fu, J. Han,"CONTINUOUS-FLOW IMMUNOSEPARATION AND RAPID QUANTIFICATION OF PROTEIN
BINDING KINETICS IN ANISOTROPICALLY-PATTERNED NANO-SIEVE STRUCTURES," mTAS 2009, Jeju, Korea, Nov. 2009.
- P. Kim, S. J. Kim, J. Han and K-Y. Suh, "Stabilization of Ion Concentration Polarization Using a Heterogeneous Nanoporous Junction," 62nd Annual Meeting of the American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics, Minneapolis, USA, Nov. 2009.
- P. Kim, S. J. Kim, J. Han and K-Y. Suh, "Microfluidic Integration of Cation- and Anion-Selective Hydrogels for Molecular Manipulations," Gordon Research Conference on Physics & Chemistry of Microfluidics, Lucca, Barga, Italy, Jun. 2009
- S. H. Ko, S. J. Kim, K. H. Kang and J. Han, "Enhancing the Concentration Polarization In Micro/Nanochannel Hybrid System Using Array of Pillars," 83rd ACS Colloid and Surface Science Symposium, Columbia University, New York, USA, Jun. 2009.
- Moon D., Kim S.J., Kang I.S., Han J., "Protein preconcentration in a droplet-micro/nanochannel hybrid system," 61st Annual Meeting of the American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics, San Antonio, USA, Nov. 2008.
- Kim S.J. and Han J., "Amplified Nonlinear Electrokinetics and Concentration Polarization near Nanofluidic Channel, MIT-Spain Workshop on Electrokinetics, Cambridge, USA, Oct. 2008.
- Han J., Wang Y.C., Kim S.J., "Engineering Applications of Ion Concentration Polarization," MIT-Spain Workshop on Electrokinetics, Cambridge, USA, Oct. 2008.
- Kim S.J., Li L.D., and Han J., " Amplified Electrokinetic Fluid Pumping and Switching by Concentration Polarization Near Nanofluidic Channel," mTAS 2008, San Diego, USA, Oct. 2008.
- Kim S.J. and Han J., "Self-Sealed Vertical Nanoporous Junctions for Integrating Various Nanomaterials in PDMS Microfluidic System," mTAS 2008, San Diego, USA, Oct. 2008.
- P. Mao and J. Han, "FABRICATION OF MASSIVELY-PARALLEL REGULAR NANOFILTERS FOR HIGH-THROUGHPUT
BIOMOLECULE SEPARATION," mTAS 2008, San Diego, USA, Oct. 2008.
- H. Bow, P. Abgrall, and J. Han,"MICROFABRICATED SLITS IN SERIES: A SIMPLE PLATFORM TO PROBE DIFFERENCES IN
CELL DEFORMABILITY," mTAS 2008, San Diego, USA, Oct. 2008.
- Y-A. Song and J. Han, "HIGH-THROUGHPUT SAMPLE PREPARATION FOR MASS SPECTROMETRY BY CONTINUOUSFLOW
PI-BASED FRACTIONATION OF PEPTIDES AND PROTEINS," mTAS 2008, San Diego, USA, Oct. 2008.
- Y.-A. Song, A. Sarkar, and J. Han, "ENCAPSULATION OF BIOMOLECULES WITH PROGRAMMABLE CONCENTRATIONS IN
MICRODROPLETS USING ELECTROKINETIC CONCENTRATOR," mTAS 2008, San Diego, USA, Oct. 2008.
- Ying-Chih Wang, Vincent Liu, and Jongyoon Han,"Nanofluidic Preconcentration Device for Sensitive and Wide Dynamic Range Immuno-sensing," (oral) Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2007 Symposium, Paris, France, vol 2, pp. 1786-1788. October 2007.
- Jeong-Hoon Lee, Yong-Ak Song, and Jongyoon Han, "High-Throughput Proteomic Sample Preconcentration in PDMS Microfluidic Chip Using Surface-Patterned Ion-Selective Membrane," (oral) Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2007 Symposium, Paris, France, Vol. 2, pp. 1198-1200, October 2007
- Yong-Ak Song, Chris Celio, and Jongyoon Han, "Continuous-Flow Pi-Based Sorting Of Proteins And Peptides For Isolation Of Basic Pi Range Molecules," (poster) Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2007 Symposium, Paris, France, Vol. 1, pp. 811-813, October 2007.**
- Kim S.J., Wang Y.C., Lee J.H. and Han J., "Concentration Polarization and Nonlinear Electrokinetic Flow Inside/Outside the Ion Depletion Region," Gordon Research Conference on Physics & Chemistry of Microfluidics, Waterville Valley, NH, USA, Jul. 2007.
- Fu, J. & Han, J. "Continuous-flow biomolecule separation through patterned anisotropic nanofluidic sieving structure," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2006 Symposium, Tokyo, Japan, vol. 1, pp. 519-521. (oral presentation)
- Kim, S. J., Wang, Y.-C., Jang, H., Lee, J. H. & Han, J. "Nonlinear electrokinetic flow pattern near nanofluidic channel," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2006 Symposium, Tokyo, Japan, vol. 1, pp. 522-524. (oral presentation)
- Kim, S. J., Song, Y. A., Skipper, P. L., Tannenbaum, S. R. & Han, J. "Generation and delivery of monodisperse pico-liter droplets out of PDMS microchip into accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS)," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2006 Symposium, Tokyo, Japan, vol. 2, pp. 1076-1078. (poster presentation)
- Mao, P. & Han, J. "Fabrication and characterization of planar nanofluidic channels and massively-parallel nanofluidic membranes," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2005 Symposium, Boston, MA, vol. 1, pp. 678-680. (poster presentation)
- Wang, Y.-C., Tsau, C. H., Burg, T. P., Manalis, S. & Han, J. "Efficient biomolecule pre-concentration by nanofilter triggered electrokinetic trapping," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2005 Symposium, Boston, MA, vol. 1, pp. 238-240. (poster presentation)
- Fu, J. & Han, J. "A nanofilter array chip for fast gel-free biomolecule separation," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2005 Symposium, Boston, MA, vol. 2, pp. 1531-1533. (oral presentation)
- Song, Y.-A. & Han, J. "Continuous pI-based sorting of proteins and peptides in an microfluidic chip using diffusion potential," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2005 Symposium, Boston, MA, vol. 2, pp. 1025-1027. (oral presentation)
- Wang, Y.-C., Fu, J., Mao, P. & Han, J. "Nanofluidic molecular filters for efficient protein separation and preconcentration", Proceedings of the Transducers 2005 conference, Seoul, Korea, vol. 1, pp. 352-355. (oral presentation)
- Fu, J. & Han, J. "Biomolecule separation in nanofluidic filters by steric hindrance mechanism," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2004 Symposium, Malmo, Sweden, vol. 1, pp. 285-287. (poster presentation)
- Han, J. & Fu J. "Biomolecule separation by steric hindrance using nanofluidic filters," 2004 IEEE-EMBS meeting, San Francisco, CA, pp. 2611-2614. (invited presentation)
- Choi, M. H., Wang, Y. -C. & Han, J. "On-chip isoelectric focusing coupled to micro liquid chromatography in blood proteomics," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2004 Symposium, Malmo, Sweden, vol. 2, pp. 255-257. (poster presentation)
- Wang, Y.-C., Choi, M. H. & Han, J. "On-chip IEF peak manipulation for 2D protein separation and MS coupling," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2003 Symposium, Squaw Valley, CA, pp. 955-958. (poster presentation)
Previous to 2002 (non-MIT)
- Han, J. & Singh, A. K. "Miniaturization of protein separation: isoelectric focusing and SDS-PAGE," Proceedings of the MicroTAS 2002 Symposium, Nara, Japan, vol. 1, pp. 596-598. (poster presentation)
- Han, J. & Craighead, H. G. "From microfluidics to nanofluidics: DNA separation using nanofluidic entropic trap array device," Proceedings of SPIE 2000 - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 4177, pp. 42-48. (invited talk)
Other Major Publications
- Kim S.J. and Han J., "Nonlinear Electrokinetic FLow: Theory, Experiment, and Potential Applications," IUTAM symposium on Advances in Micro- and Nanofluidics, Springer Science, 15, 2009, pp 3-17.
- Jongyoon Han, “Biomolecule Separation, Concentration, and Detection using Nanofluidic Channels,” a chapter in Nanofluidics: Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, edited by Joshua Edel and Andrew DeMello, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2009 (ISBN 9780854041473)
- Jongyoon Han, Jianping Fu, Ying-Chih Wang, Yong-Ak Song, “Biosample Preparation by Lab-on-a-Chip devices,” a chapter in Encyclopedia of Micro- and Nanofluidics (Editor: Dongqing Li), Springer, 2008
- Han, J. "Nanofluidics," a textbook chapter in "Introduction to Nanoscale Science and Technology," eds. Di Ventra, M., Evoy, S. & Heflin, J. R. (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 2004).