1925 - 2003
Hermann Anton Haus was born in Ljubljana, Slovenia. After
attending the Technische Hochschule, Graz, and the Technische
Hochschule, Wien, in Austria, he received his Bachelor of
Science degree from Union College in Schenectady, New York
in 1949. In 1951 he was graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute with a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
and came to MIT, where he earned his Doctor of Science and
was made an Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering
in 1954. Dr. Haus was promoted to Associate Professor in 1958,
to Professor in 1962, and to Elihu Thomson Professor in 1973.
In 1987, MIT conferred upon him the honor of Institute Professor.
In 1995 he was awarded the National Medal of Science. In his
over half century at RLE and MIT, he was a prolific contributor
to emerging technologies in the field of optics and an extraordinary
innovator and educator.
MIT Professor Hermann Haus dies at 77; Was pioneer in optical
Haus, Rich to get Medal of Science
An interview with Professor Hermann A. Haus (PDF)