Visiting Students

Q. How do I begin the process of bringing a Visiting Student to MIT?
A. Please submit via email a complete Visiting Student package to Maxine Samuels in RLE Headquarters. A list of all documents required can be found on the RLE website.
Q. How far in advance do I need to submit a Visiting Student Request? (two answers)
A. For International Students currently abroad, RLE needs at least 90 days notice prior to the appointment start date. The time to acquire a visa can vary and the more time we have to process the request, the more likely the student can arrive on time.
A. For students with US citizenship or permanent resident status; and for students currently in the U.S. with a visa, RLE requires 45 days notice from the appointment start date. Click here for more timeline information.
Q. What is the maximum amount of time a Visiting Student can stay at MIT?
A. A Visiting Student can stay at MIT for a maximum of 12 months. There are exceptions for Harvard and Wellesley students.
Q. What is the minimum amount of time a Visiting Student can stay at MIT
A. The student must stay a minimum of 3 weeks to qualify for the Visiting Student program. For all other qualifications, please click here.
Q. Can the registration fee be paid with a research grant?
A. No, the registration fee must be paid with a discretionary account or by the student.
Q. What other costs are involved when inviting a Visiting Student?
A. Please refer to the cost information on the RLE website.
Q. How far in advance do I need to submit a Visiting Student Extension request? 
A. A Visiting Student Extension must be submitted to Maxine Samuels 30 days in advance of the student’s end date. Please click here for more information.
Q. If a Visiting Student shows up in the middle of a semester, is the full registration fee still applied?
A. Yes, the full registration fee will be applied. However, if the Visiting Student were to leave before the semester is over, they will get a prorated reimbursement for the semester they are currently in. Please contact Maxine Samuels for more information.
Q. The visiting student has visa related questions, who at MIT can assist with this?
A. Please have the student email mayoka@mit.edu in the International Students Office.
Q. The visiting student has questions about the iMIT application, who can they contact for assistance?
A. Please have the student email mayoka@mit.edu in the International Students Office.
Q. The visiting student is in need of housing information, who can help with this?
A. Have the student visit the MIT Visitor Housing website for information. They can also find information regarding off campus housing and a list of contact information as well.
Q. Where can I find out more information regarding Visiting Student requests?
A. Please go to the RLE Visiting Student Homepage or contact Maxine Samuels in RLE Headquarters.

RLE Space Reservations

Q. How many people can the Allen and Haus room seat?
A. Both the Allen and Haus room can seat 14 people in boardroom seating, and 32 people in theater seating. Combined the two rooms can seat 80 individuals.
Q. How do I reserve the 8th Floor Café or 6th Floor space?
A. Contact Amanda Keyes (keyesa66@mit.edu) to make a reservation.
Q. How do I get access to the kitchen when I have an event in the Haus or Allen Room?
A. Speak with Amanda Keyes (keyesa66@mit.edu) at the RLE HQ front desk to request access to the kitchen.
Q. Can I store supplies in the RLE kitchen?
A. No, storage is not available in the RLE kitchen.
Q. How do I get access to the Haus and/or Allen Room after 5pm?
A. Contact Amanda Keyes (keyesa66@mit.edu) at least 24 hours prior to the event for temporary, after-hours access to the room.
Q. How does an individual who is not an RLE member request a room reservation?
A. People outside of RLE should contact Amanda Keyes (keyesa66@mit.edu) to request a room reservation.
Q. Does the QIS room have a projector?
A. Yes, the QIS room does have a projector with AV capabilities.
Q. Can I get into the QIS room after 5pm?
A. The QIS room is locked after 5pm, but can be opened with card access. To gain card access, contact Amanda Keyes (keyesa66@mit.edu).

RLE Media

Q. How do I get an event posted on the RLE website?
A. Please email Sampson Wilcox (swilcox@mit.edu) with event information, including date, time, and location, as well as provide any pertinent back up (detailed description abstract, flier, etc.).
Q. My PI has a significant paper/award/accomplishment. How do I get this posted on the RLE website?
A. Please email Sampson Wilcox (swilcox@mit.edu) with the detailed information.
Q. Does RLE provide printing services?
A. RLE does not offer printing services. MIT Copytech and MIT Libraries offer a variety of printing and copying services.
Q. How can I change room signage outside of my office?
A. RLE room signage in Buildings 36, 26 and 38 and RLE floor directories are managed by the Manager of Media and Design. If you would like to make a change to your room sign, please fill out the Sign Request form.
Q. How can I order RLE business cards?
A. You may order RLE business cards by visiting the vendor Ambit Press through the Ecat system, and selecting RLE from the catalog list. There is a charge for this service. Please find more information regarding ordering cards (including who RLE will process cards for) on the “Current RLE members” page.

RLE Facilities

Q. Who is permitted to use the copiers in the RLE Copy Room?
A. Only RLE members may use the RLE copiers (for MIT-related business).
Q. How can I change the temperature in my room?
A. RLE Facilities controls the room temperature for Buildings 26 and 36. You can contact facilities by sending an email to rle-facilities@mit.edu.
Q. Where is the closest Athena Cluster to RLE HQ?
A. The closest Athena Cluster to RLE HQ is in room 38–370. For further information on Athena Clusters, consult the IS&T website.
Q. How do I rent the van?
A. To rent the RLE van, email rle-facilities@mit.edu with your request. Advanced notice is required.
Q. How can I mail an item?
A. FedEx and USPS are the preferred option to ship/mail documents from MIT. Contact your PI’s Administrative Assistant to get an account number for both shipping options. FedEx shipments can be dropped off at one of the two locations associated with RLE (see below). USPS is handled by MIT mail services.
Q. Where is the closest FedEx drop off location?
A. There are two FedEx drop off locations near Building 36. One can be found in room 36–460, while the other is located in the basement of the Stata Center. FedEx in 36–460 is picked up at 3:30pm Monday to Friday; the Stata Center pick up occurs at 6pm.
Q. How can I get access to the machine shops associated with RLE?
A. To get machine shop access, please follow the instructions on the RLE Facilities page.
Q. Does RLE have a fax machine?
A. Yes, there is a fax machine located in the copy room, 36–460. Instructions are on the wall.
Q. How do I order a new key?
A. To order keys or request card access for office or lab space, please fill out the Key Request Form, found in RLE HQ, and have it signed by your RLE supervisor. Once signed, please drop it off with Kimberley Huynh in RLE Headquarters (36–413).


Q. I didn’t receive my W‑2 tax form in the mail this year, how can I acquire it?
A. The W‑2 tax form is now found electronically through the ATLAS website. Please contact MIT HR/Payroll if you have any questions.
Q. How do I get forms (e.g. Couhes application) signed by the RLE Director?
A. Request for signatures should be directed to Cathy Bourgeois (cmbourg@mit.edu).
Q. How do I request a meeting with the RLE Director?
A. Requests for meetings with the Director should be addressed to Cathy Bourgeois (cmbourg@mit.edu).